Thursday, August 13, 2009

Too much information

This may be a little too much information for those who have a queasy stomach or who have never given birth. But here is our latest update one the new little on coming soon to our family. I went to my Doctor yesterday for my 34th week check-up. For me this is when I get my group B strep test done, and a blood sugar test done (if my sugars are too low these could cause my contractions to be worse.) They also found protein and blood in my urine, so more blood work was done for that. My doctor then became a little worried, because I have been gaining weight as I should be (1pound a week), for the last six weeks, but my abdominal measurements have not changed. I am not retaining water, so we needed to find out why I was not growing. So I went back later in the afternoon for another ultrasound and an amniocentesis test. In the amnio test the stick a HUGE needle into your uterus through your stomach. Needles really don't bug me, but man did it hurt. The worst part was when it was all over my contractions got worse and I was really dizzy. I was a little nervous about this, especially because I could not get a hold of Brent, and did it all by myself. So the measured the baby, and he was measuring great, right where he should be. They also checked his heart, brain, the position and yes he is STILL a BOY! They tried to measure my cervix, but it was too thin to even register. But as long as I don't dilate too quickly I should still be fine. They also measured the amount of amniotic fluid around the baby to be sure they could do the amnio test. The doctors were checking to be sure I did not have one of two things, Oligohydramnios (not having enough amniotic fluid for the baby to survive), or Intrauterine growth restriction (when your uterus stops growing), if I had either one of these conditions they would send my to the hospital to get steroids pumped in me, and then to induce labor. Lucky for me both the ultrasound and amnio came back fine. We are guessing he is almost 5 pounds, and his lungs seem to be developed. I am not sure how they can tell this from the amnio test but they can. So I am doing nothing for 12 more days, when I will be 36 weeks. I just sew, read, and watch "Wonder Pets"....boring...but safe!

My next appointment is on Wednesday, my doctor will check me and hopefully I wont be too dilated. My mom comes in late Wednesday night, but I am really hoping to make it to the 25th. I'll keep you posted if my chaos gets any more chaotic!

1 comment:

Team Shelton said...

I think Quinten is going to look just like Bridger...at least that is what the ultrasound looks like.

You look like you have dropped a little bit and your cheeks are getting puffy. I think the baby will be here sooner than you think :)