Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What we do for smiles like these...


I am completely in awe of how much stuff insurance companies don't cover. Let me first say we have wonderful insurance, and we even have a secondary for our dental plan. We picked the second up after Corbin cost 440.00 for two cavities to be filled.

So this is were my rant begins...I took all five children to the dentist this morning. My kids are always great, they LOVE Dr. Anderson (thinking of it my kids LOVE all their Doctors). So one by one one we go and get our pictures, and then one by one we climb into the big green chair.
My kids are awesome little brushers, because after two years of perfect teeth, we had only one cavity.
One of Corbin's other fillings had started to loosen and he got another cavity around the same spot. In my mind I think "$$$". Then the dentist tells me that he needs a bottom spacer so his teeth will come in better. Again "$$$" crosses my mind. Corbin is not going to be able to go on a mission, but he will have great teeth.

Dr. Anderson then explains that Parker has a big molar that we should have sealant put on...okay do it we don't want any cavities...right.

So then the cute receptionist comes out to tell me how much $$$ I am going to fork over at this trip. Good thing we only come twice a year. Corbin's total is 669.32, but because of my two insurances, I only have to pay 44.00 for the laughing gas. I love insurance!!

Parker's total for ONE sealant is 37.00, and I have to pay 37.00. What ? Apparently insurances only like it when you have holes in your teeth. They will not pay one penny of any preventative stuff. Okay a little STUPID if you ask me. I hate insurance !!

So once again my mind started thinking $$$.

37.00 sealant times eight teeth= 296.00 a mouth

5 mouths =1480.00

That is with out cavities, spacers, braces, retainers, or any other junk my kids need in their mouths.
I better go I think I should go sign up for Dental School.

2 comments:

Team Shelton said...

yeah! This was my kind of blog! You found something that bugs you and you rant-it makes you feel better doesn't it? And oh, my dear sister, do you think I love insurance? Do you know how much money I have forked over for insurance? Believe me a little more than $2000 bucks! And believe me I also understand how frustrating it can be when insurance companies won't cover anything preventative or elective...and their list is long as to what constitutes elective. Anyway nice post, and I love your new template too.

Williams Family said...

You go girl!!!
That sounds like our trip to the dentist on Monday. We waited for 2 hours to see the dentist. We were just there to have him look at a spot on Ryan's x-ray. He looked at it and looked at Ryan's mouth and said "He is just fine". A total of 5 minutes. Then the "cute" girl at the front desk said "That will be $100". She said it wasn't covered under our dental insurance. Why wasn't I told that before we went in!! I was not happy. Needless to say the Better Business Bureau heard from me.